This is a long, detailed proposal with markdown tables which may not render properly - **additionally, the proposal exceeded the max length, so a large portion has been excluded.** Please view the proposal on your browser if you wish to view it in its entirety, [on IPFS.](https://bafybeigcppwlvbrm6dwfaphflizaebvbpbkdkwqndlhublgdaq6xiry7py.ipfs.dweb.link/Evmos%20Sponsorship%20of%20HackAtom%202022%20Seoul%20and%20Participation%20in%20Korea%20Blockchain%20Week.html) The original Commonwealth thread can also be viewed [here.](https://commonwealth.im/evmos/discussion/6083-prevote-draft-evmos-sponsorship-of-hackatom-2022-seoul-and-participation-in-korea-blockchain-week)
This proposal will provide the funding necessary needed for the sponsorship of the upcoming HackAtom 2022 event in Seoul which will be held July 29th to 31th, followed by the participation in ETH Seoul and Korea Blockchain Week which ends on 14th of August. The HackAtom hackathon will also kick off the first of many events planned for [discoverEVMOS](https://evmos.builders), a developer onboarding and network growth initiative.
HackAtom is the largest and most recognized hackathon in the Cosmos ecosystem, organized by the Interchain Foundation with its history dating [back to 2017](https://blog.cosmos.network/announcing-the-cosmos-hackatom-winners-9fc083098da). A lot has happened since 2017 -- even as the world was momentarily flipped upside down, the Cosmos ecosystem continued to build, and #IBCgang as a whole has achieved countless milestones that the early builders have dreamed of.
Evmos is incredibly special in that it has the best of both worlds - EVM and Cosmos. In fact, Evmos exists today because of [Cosmos Hub Proposal #44](https://forum.cosmos.network/t/proposal-44-accepted-advancing-ethermint-gtm-and-engineering-plan-for-the-ethermint-chain/4554)
## **The Event**
**Announcing Cosmos’s HackATOM Seoul**
HackAtom Seoul, Organized by Interchain in collaboration with the talented KryptoSeoul team, will be our first in-person Hackathon since 2019 and the first Cosmos-branded event in the Asian continent since the pandemic began. The full announcement [can be read here](https://blog.cosmos.network/announcing-cosmoss-hackatom-seoul-b6858b9beac7).
**Participating IBC Frens:**
* Cosmos Hub, Interchain Foundation, Cosmostation, Osmosis, Crescent, Juno, plus more (check announcement).
**Date**: July 29-31
**Location**: Hanwha Dreamplus, Seoul
## **Community Funding Request**
The requested amount as it stands is $168K, with the bulk of it going towards hackathon prizes and developer outreach. $50K allocated for marketing and PR will come from the waived sponsorship fee from Interchain Foundation.
**A. Sponsorship Fees**
Platinum Sponsorship Package (Fee Waived) Includes:
* 1 booth at HackAtom Seoul 2022
* 1 judging seat at HackAtom Seoul 2022
* 1 workshop at HackAtom Seoul 2022
* 10-minute speaker spot at the Welcome Ceremony, Day 1
* Co-host at Official Afterparty at HackAtom Seoul 2022
* Evmos marketing one-pager included in Welcome Packet
* HackAtom badges printed with your Evmos under Platinum Sponsor
* Evmos logo insignia on the marketing video produced during HackAtom Seoul 2022
### **B. Hackathon Prizes**
The prize amount was selected simply based on the amount that Osmosis and Juno are offering ($100K each).
[Current Hackathon Challenges and Prize Pool](https://bafybeienbj44fytisfpq6a5svc5t32qcxgwjvdkqejfys2degjnhhotbkm.ipfs.dweb.link/tracks.png)
The final hackathon tracks will be discussed and determined with the core dev team as well as with consultation from evmos4volunteers.
### **C. Marketing and PR Expenses**
The numbers that I am providing are currently derived as best estimates from my past experiences with sponsoring and hosting events. Past events include Blockshow Vegas 2018, BlockchainNW Seattle 2018, LA Blockchain Week 2018, Global AI Conference in Santa Clara, Consensys 2019, LA Blockchain Week 2019, E3 2019 blockchain gaming, and a dozen smaller meetups.
**PR Expenses** - Evmos is unique in the Cosmos ecosystem because we are able to tap into a much bigger pool of developers (devs already familiar with solidity). It is my belief that if we are committing $100K into the hackathon, we should do our absolute best to make sure that there is a great turnout with talented developers.
Right off the bat, I would like to explore one or two paid PR placements in Korea's top blockchain publications and developer networks. Depending on who, when, and how, this can range anywhere from $5K to $10K. However, we will aim for the lower-end of the range while leveraging the existing network of IBC frens.
I will be consulting a few blockchain incubation and investment firms that I am acquainted with for additional advice on how to best penetrate the Korean ETH developer market. There may be some last minute promotions, such as small token giveaways or ad placements in developer-heavy social networks.
**Marketing Expenses** - Following the HackAtom event, three events will be held consecutively: buidl.asia, ETH Seoul, and Korea Blockchain Week. This gives us a great opportunity to do further outreach beyond the scope of the hackathon, through smaller meetups, cross-promotions, and related events. Side events, when executed properly, can be much more effective than sponsoring the event itself.
From start to finish, the events will last from July 29th to August 13th. This is a pretty epic blockchain marathon, and the possilities and opportunities for developer onboarding, meetups, workships, and side events are endless.
**Booth and Evmos Merch** - Because of the limited time to prepare, booth design and merch will likely have to be rushed. After speaking with Interchain Foundation and the HackAtom organizers, booth design will not require a significant budget.
Around $2K will be allocated for Evmos merch / swag.
### **D. Airfare + Accomodations + Miscellaneous Expenses**
For those that have boothed at crypto events, you'll know that _it is not easy._ I have discussed with BeeHive, a respected Korean validator and community that is active in Evmos as well as other Cosmos chains, and have confirmed their willingness to help boothing as well as provide translation services. While the event will bring the global community to Seoul, it should be expected that a huge portion of the attendees will, of course be Korean.
At the moment airfare to Korea from the States as well as Europe are well over $2K. Assuming that four Evmos representaives will in attendance, the cost for airfare should exceed just over $10K. Prices will likely fluctuate between now and then. Accomodation for housing is showing anywhere from $4K to $6K for the time periods of the events.
Loredana from evmos4volunteers has been requested to attend to assist with technical discussions, which the community seems to be overwhelming in favor for. We are waiting for a final confirmation from loredana.
## **Fund Usage, Transparency, and Accountability**
1. All expenses incurred will be documented and itemized, from A to D. Whatever transactions that can be done on chain will be done so. For expenses that require fiat, an expense report will be provided after the event.
2. All unused funds will be returned to the community pool.
3. $20K of the marketing and PR budget will be sent to a multi-sig wallet, while $20K will be held in a liquid wallet so that we can immediately get to work on the countless tasks and preparations that need to be made.
4. The hackathon prize pool will also be sent to a multi-sig wallet and distributed post-event.
5. I will work with the core team to be as frugal as possible, while consulting with them to take as many opportunities that would benefit Evmos and help with onboarding and exposure.
## **Time Constraints**
July 29th is fast approaching. I will continue to be in constant contact with the HackAtom organizers, blockchain incubators and communities, and everyone in between.
## **Other Considerations**
We have decided not to sponsor KBW directly, but have confirmed with KBW organizers that whatever side event we decide to host, they will include it in their official list of events, which allows us to tap into their pool of attendees. With that being said, if at any point or time something doesn't feel right, or we feel that our spending is not justified, we can simply decide to not host anything, and return the remaining funds to the community pool.
## Multisig Signatories
3 out of 5 signatories for multisig execution is proposed:
- LPX (myself, who will be coordinating much of logistics here in Seoul)
- Three team members / volunteer in attendance (Adonis, Tricky, and Loredana if she is able to make it)
- One team member not present in Korea.
* [HackAtom Seoul 2022 Event Page](https://www.buidl.asia/hackatom-seoul-2022)
* [Cosmos Signaling Proposal](https://forum.cosmos.network/t/proposal-signaling-proposal-hackatom-seoul-2022/6799?u=catdotfish)
* [Official Cosmos Announcement](https://blog.cosmos.network/announcing-cosmoss-hackatom-seoul-b6858b9beac7)
* [HackAtom Official Site](https://hackatom.org/)
* [ETH Seoul 2022](https://2022.ethseoul.org/)
* [Blockchain Week Korea 2022](https://koreablockchainweek.com/)
A huge thank you to [@catdotfish](https://twitter.com/catdotfish) from Interchain and Erica from KryptoSeoul for the help in organizing this proposal.